Getting rid of your cable box in favor of transferring everything over the Internet is a great way to save money, but it can be painful when trying to watch seasonal content. Football is a Thanksgiving tradition in many homes and, fortunately, it's easy to watch even if you cut the cord.
Watch on a streaming service
Cable replacement services usually offer access to local channels such as NBC, CBS and FOX, which are the three channels broadcasting football on Thanksgiving. Each service offers a free trial, but its duration may vary. In addition, a service may be better for you depending on the equipment you have at home.
- YouTube TV is available for $ 40 a month and offers a free trial of a month. It can be used on the web, iOS, Android, Chromecast screens (including Google's dynamic screens), Android TV, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One, and Samsung and LG smart TVs done after 2016. You can sign up for YouTube TV here.
- Hulu with Live TV is also available for $ 40, but the free trial is only for a week. You can watch it on the web, iOS, Android, Chromecast Screens, Apple TV, Android TV, Fire TV, Roku, Windows 10, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Samsung and LG Smart TVs and Nintendo Switch. You can sign up for Hulu with Live TV here.
- PlayStation View starts at $ 45 a month for the cheapest package, but it still allows you to watch local channels. PlayStation Vue offers a free five-day trial and can be viewed on Playstation 4, iOS, Android, Chromecast Screens, Android TV, Apple TV, Fire TV, and Roku. You can sign up for the PlayStation Vue here.
- DirecTV now starts at $ 40 a month and offers a free one week trial. You can watch it on the web, iOS, Android, Chromecast Screens, Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku, and Samsung Smart TVs done after 2017. You can sign up for DirecTV now here.
- Sling TV starts at $ 25 a month and offers a free one week trial. You can watch Sling TV on the web, iOS, Android, Chromecast Screens, Android TV, Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku, Samsung and LG Smart TVs done after 2016, and some Xfinity cable boxes. Sling, however, has one disadvantage: you need a terrestrial antenna to watch local channels, which is probably what you will watch the football game on. You can sign up for Sling TV here.
Watch on the NFL app
NFL Game Pass allows you to watch matches anytime for $ 99 a year. You can get a free trial a week and the application is available on iOS, Android, Android TV, Roku, Apple TV, Xbox One and Playstation 4. That said, there is a great warning: there are games that you can only watch on your smartphone. Plus, you will not be able to watch these games on the big screen with Chromecast or AirPlay. While it's not a giant deal if you're the only one watching, trying to get your entire family to watch on a six-inch screen is simply not an option.
Buy a radio antenna
Although you can get most of the content on the Internet, having a good over-the-air (OTA) antenna is great for local sports programming and events. Even the latest smart TVs will have a coaxial input to connect an antenna, and using an antenna can be even better than trying to stream the game over the Internet: you can stream your game without competing with the tablet. your kids for the internet bandwidth, and you do not have to worry about the end of the stream because someone's network has crashed.
OTA antennas simply work, so you do not need to replace them three years later. You can get an antenna for as little as $ 15as long as you are close enough to your favorite stations. Some OTA antennas will include a free trial of Sling TV, so you can use it to launch the rest of your cord cut.
It may take some effort to determine which option allows you to watch the matches you want, but you can still watch a football match during the Thanksgiving match, while saving money.